Why Do We Need Wills?
Many clients ask, ‘why do I need a will?’ There are many reasons people are hesitant to write their will. The decision to put off this important task can stem from a variety of reasons. Some of the more
popular ‘excuses’ are:
- Prohibitive cost
- Fear or discomfort discussing death
Effect of Not Having a Will
So, what are the effects of not having a proper estate plan in place? These can vary depending on individual circumstances, however some of the issues include:
Oftentimes pre planning is the most cost effective strategy. Clients that are willing to pay up front to put their affairs in order save time and expense when the estate is administered.
- Inappropriate distribution of assets
- Guardianship issues
- Inheritance at 18, no trust provisions
- No funeral instructions
- Confusion regarding executors/no choice of executors
- Probate (tax) of assets which could have been excluded with proper planning
- Greater time and expense (legal, etc.)
- Peace of mind jeopardized
Click Here for the full article.