Robert Saunders B.A., LL.B.
Called to the bar in 1979
Bob was born and raised in Toronto, graduating from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1977. He was called to the Ontario bar in 1979. Bob is a founding member of the Firm and is a Managing Partner.
Bob practices in real estate, leasing, business, employment and estate work.
Bob’s real estate and leasing practice includes:
- purchase and sale of residential, commercial, industrial and multiple unit residential properties
- shopping centre development and leasing
- real estate disputes and trouble shooting
- financing, re-financing and enforcement
- commercial leasing, including landlord & tenant dispute resolution
Bob has many years of experience in providing entrepreneurs and owner-operators of businesses with practical and strategic advice in all aspects of business law. He strives to know and understand his clients’ business needs so that he can respond with advice that reflects the realities of the clients’ particular business and the economic environment affecting it. Bob advises corporations, partnerships and small businesses in all areas affecting their business including:
- assisting in the establishment of a new business, including incorporations, partnerships and joint ventures
- purchase and sale of a business
- business agreements required for the operation of the business including licensing agreements, distributorship agreements, and other business contracts
- business financing arrangements
- acting for lenders as well as borrowers
- advice on business closures & insolvencies
- advising on employer/employee contracts and employment termination
Bob has developed a particular expertise in advising clients on their business and family succession issues. Bob brings a solid understanding of and experience in the dynamics of family-run businesses and is sought out for his knowledge, creativity, sensitivity and singular focus on the issues faced by his clients. He has the ability to combine excellent legal analysis with practical and balanced advice. Bob acts for a large number of the Firm’s clients as their executor and trustee and has become their family’s problem solver.
In all, Bob’s special skill is the provision of reasoned and practical solutions to difficult problems and transactions.
As a dad, Bob has always been involved in kids’ hockey. For many years, Bob ran the Forest Hill Hockey Association’s competitive program and is recognized in the local community for his significant contribution and dedication to that organization. Bob has four children and when not working enjoys playing golf, running and reading the New York Times.